Scientific Editor and Writer (2018-present)
Part-time position writing and editing grant applications and manuscripts for A/Prof Markus Muttenthaler (Institute of Biological Chemistry, University of Vienna).
Freelance Scientific Editor, Nature Research Editing Service (2016-present)
In-depth developmental editing and journal submission advice
Freelance Scientific Editor, Bioedit Ltd. and NAI, Inc. (2016-present)
Language editing and editing for journal requirements.
Locum Assistant Editor, Nature Structural & Molecular Biology (2015-2016)
Experience includes handling over 150 primary manuscripts; writing research highlights; commissioning and editing News & Views articles; editing Review and Perspective articles. Required effective communication and teamwork in a small team split between London, New York, Boston and Melbourne.
Freelance Editor , Nature Structure and Molecular Biology (2016-2017)
Primary manuscript assessment.
Academic Research Experience
Postdoctoral Fellow, 2013-2015
Dr Kazufumi Mochizuki’s group, Institute of Molecular Biotechnology, Vienna. ‘RNAi-mediated transgenerational epigenetic regulation of transposable elements in Tetrahymena’.
PhD Student, 2008-2013
Prof Marc Bühler’s group, Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel. ‘RNAi-mediated co-transcriptional gene silencing in fission yeast’; completed Sept 2012, ‘summa cum laude’.
Masters project, 2007–2008
Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research UK Gurdon Institute, University of Cambridge – Prof Andrea Brand’s group – ‘The role of sevenup in the regulation of temporal identity transitions in Drosophila neuroblasts’.
Undergraduate Research, 2007
Institute of Molecular Biology, University of Zurich – Prof Walter Schaffner’s group – ‘Single-strand annealing (SSA) in Drosophila msh6 mutants’.
Undergraduate Research, 2007
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge – Prof Ernest Laue’s group – ‘Modification of a high-throughput screen for soluble domain identification’.
Undergraduate Research, 2006
Department of Molecular Cell Biology, Max Planck Institute of Biochemistry, Munich – Dr Stefan Müller’s group – ‘The role of nucleolar SUMO proteases in the regulation of sumoylation’.
2008–2012 PhD, Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research, Basel
‘RNAi-mediated co-transcriptional gene silencing in fission yeast’ Group of Prof Marc Bühler – completed Sept 2012, ‘summa cum laude’
2004–2008 Pembroke College, University of Cambridge, UK BA & MSci (Hons)
Natural Sciences Tripos 2.1 Specialised in Biochemistry in the 3rd and 4th years
2002–2004 Sir Thomas Rich’s School, Gloucester, UK
A levels: Biology (A), Chemistry (A), Maths (A), German (A) Advanced Extension Award: Biology, German
Noto T, Kataoka K, Suhren JH, Hayashi A, Woolcock KJ, Gorovsky MA, Mochizuki K (2015). Small-RNA-mediated genome-wide trans-recognition network in Tetrahymena DNA elimination. Mol Cell 59(2):229-42.
Woolcock KJ and Bühler M (2013). Nuclear organisation and RNAi in fission yeast. Curr Opin Cell Biol 25(3):372-7.
Keller C, Adaixo R, Stunnenberg R, Woolcock KJ, Hiller S, Bühler M (2012). HP1Swi6 mediates the recognition and destruction of heterochromatic RNA transcripts. Mol Cell 47(2):215-27.
Woolcock KJ, Stunnenberg R, Gaidatzis D, Hotz H-R, Emmerth S, Barraud P, Bühler M (2012). RNAi keeps Atf1-bound stress response genes in check at nuclear pores. Genes Dev 26(7):683-92.
Woolcock KJ, Gaidatzis D, Punga T, Bühler M (2011). Dicer associates with chromatin to repress genome activity in Schizosaccharomyces pombe. Nat Struct Mol Biol 18(1):94-9.
Keller C, Woolcock K, Hess D, Bühler M (2010). Proteomic and functional analysis of the noncanonical poly(A) polymerase Cid14. RNA 16(6):1124-9.
Kappeler M, Kranz E, Woolcock K, Georgiev O, Schaffner W (2008). Drosophila bloom helicase maintains genome integrity by inhibiting recombination between divergent DNA sequences. Nucleic Acids Res 36(21):6907-17.
Woolcock K (Mar 2016). Using T cells to detect noncanonical translation. Nat Struct Mol Biol 23(3):191.
Woolcock K (Feb 2016). Structure of a DNA enzyme. Nat Struct Mol Biol 23(2):97.
Woolcock K (Dec 2015). Replication- and transcription-independent histone exchange in oocytes. Nat Struct Mol Biol 22(12):947.
Woolcock K (Oct 2015). Reversible aggregation after heat shock. Nat Struct Mol Biol 22(10):758.
Jan 2014 – EMBO Long-Term Fellowship
Positions of responsibility
Postdoctoral representative at IMBA, 2014-2015
Responsibilities included representing IMBA postdocs at team leader meetings; helping to organise additional training, career and social events, as well as the Vienna Biocenter Postdoc Seminar Series.
- May 2012 RNA 2012: The 17th Annual Meeting of the RNA Society, Michigan, USA. Travel grant received from the RNA Society.
- May 2012 7th Microsymposium on Small RNAs, Basel, Switzerland. 3rd prize for best student/postdoc talk.
- May 2011 Joint PhD meeting with Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), Barcelona, Spain
- Jan 2011 TriRhena Chromatin & Transcription, IGBMC Strasbourg, France
- Jan 2011 Swiss RNA workshop, Bern, Switzerland
- Mar 2010 Epigenetic Regulation in Cell Fate & Disease, IMP Vienna, Austria.
- May 2015 10th Microsymposium on Small RNAs, IMBA Vienna, Austria
- Dec 2014 Max Planck Freiburg Epigenetics Meeting, Freiburg, Germany
- Mar 2011 Keystone Symposium on the Mechanism and Biology of Silencing, California, USA. Scholarship awarded by the National Institutes of Health.
- Oct 2010 EMBO/EMBL Symposium: The Non-Coding Genome, Heidelberg, Germany
- Sept 2010 7th Annual Meeting of the NCCR ‘Frontiers in Genetics’, Saas Fee, Switzerland
- June 2009 Joint PhD meeting with LMCB London
- May 2013 IMBA/IMP: Grant Writing Workshop
- Oct 2012 EMBL Advanced Course: Next Generation Sequencing Data Analysis
- Aug 2012 FMI Workshop: Leadership & Management (Golin Wissenschaftsmanagement)
- Apr 2012 FMI Workshop: Women in Science
- Oct 2011 FMI Advanced R Course: using R/Bioconductor for microarray and deep sequencing data analysis
- Feb 2011 FMI Introduction to R and Bioinformatics